Frogging & Fixing...Frogging & Fixing
Today is all about frogging and fixing, frogging and fixing. That seems to be what life is about lately. Or at least my knitting life. My son lost his hat this winter…to be specific, his double knit cabled hat… It finally turned up a month later during a nature walk at school…unfortunately it was frozen to the ground. He and his classmates continued to visit it regularly until the ground finally thawed enough in March to bring the hat home. Sadly it had suffered some damage. I think a mouse or other small creature decided to nibble at it. As you can see the brown cable has unraveled. Since it’s a double knit, this means the brown reverse stockinette on the other side has also unraveled.
There was also a hole nibbled in the reverse stockinette of Side 1, but I already repaired that one:
Repairing the reverse stockinette of the double knit hat wasn’t all that easy because I usually hide repairs on the wrong side of the fabric and up until now I’ve only had to repair stockinette stitch. I had to reverse everything here! I couldn’t come up with a good way to hide the repair as I couldn’t access the wrong side of the fabric, so I’m not super pleased with the result. I think the repair looks quite obvious. However, it’s a child’s hat, and its 4-year-old owner insisted he had to have the same hat in the same colors if this one could not be fixed!
Now, I haven’t yet attempted to repair the cable. I keep staring at…girding my courage. So far the only thing I can think to do is create an i-cord in the brown yarn and graft it to the stitches that I’ve saved on the hat, somehow tacking down the i-cord to look like the original cable without going through the red cable on the other side. I think I can repair the missing brown reverse stockinette the same way I did the red, just being super careful of the red cables!
On other news….frogging. I feel like I keep frogging all my projects. In December, I frogged this:
I was knitting this pattern by Carol Feller for a KAL, when I finally tried it on and didn’t like the fit. So I frogged the whole thing. Now the sweater looks like this:
You can see I’ve got a ways to go. I’ve also realized I need to frog my Xanti by Hanna Maciejewska at least back up to where the lace round is because the cable design is not lining up in the right spot with my breasts. I need to adjust its placement.
Let’s hope I also don’t need to frog these socks again. I already did it once because the cuff was too small to get over my heel. These are Narcissa Socks by Rachel Coopey